Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Schrade Scrimshaw Set of Six Knives 1979

My wife and I used to own a business and we were always going to market in St.Louis. One of the places that we bought merchandise from carried knives. My dad had always been interested in knives and had become quite a collector. So, I bought a set of Schrade Scrimshaw knives that came in a numbered set with a display case. I kept them until Christmas and decided to give them to my dad for a present.

My dad passed away in 2003 and my mom moved to an assisted living home, so we had a sale of personal belongings and real estate. My brothers and I went through all my parents' personal property and we each took items that we had previously given to our parents as gifts. One item that I ended up with was the set of Schrade Scrimshaw knives.

I recently decided to get the knives out of the attic to study them and find out more about them on the internet. As I looked at the knives I saw that they were all engraved with the artist's name and the year. I noticed that two of the knives were dated 1978 and that four were dated 1979. All six knives had the same set number engraved on them.

I found knives and sets similar to these on the internet. Some of the 1979 scrimshaw knives had set numbers engraved on them and some of them did not. Sets of these knives were listed for sale but none of them mentioned the 1978 date for two of the knives.

So far, on my internet searches for Schrade Scrimshaw knives, the two knives that are dated 1978 are listed as knives that were manufactured in 1979. So, I guess the two different dates on the knives of this set are just oddities that occurred for this 1979 set.

The two knives with the 1978 date engraved are the knife with the buffalo and the knife with the fish.





No comments: